Rod and Gun Club
The Rod and Gun Club is an Everglades City icon. Originally built upon the foundation set by Everglades City's first permamnent resident, W.S. Allen, who founded Everglades City in 1864. In 1922, it was purchased by Barron Collier, a wealthy rancher and industrialist after whom Collier County is named. Collier turned it into a private establishment for his well-heeled friends. During the next half-century, the Rod & Gun Club saw booms and busts, along with the rest of Florida. In 1972 it was purchased by the Bowen family, who still own it today, and operate a restaurant on the first floor.
Visitors to the Club over the years have included several Presidents, Truman, Nixon, Ford and a host of celebrities.